Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Grape Jelly


I did something last night that made me think of my Granny. I used to spend a week or two with her every summer. Several times we bought a bunch of grapes and made grape jelly. So yummy! Nothing tastes as good as Granny's grape jelly.

Well, I decided to try it. I found some recipes on the internet that show how to make grape jelly from grape juice. I don't like the grapes I've found here. They don't have the right taste to them. So I made grape jelly tonight. It was super easy. HEAPS of sugar though. I'll let them cool down and then put them in the fridge. I don't have a pot that I can process them in so I'll just leave them in the fridge. I hope it tastes good. The girls love grape jelly too so I'm sure we'll eat it all up.

Recipe I used: (forgot where I got it from) bad blogger!!!

5 cups grape juice
7 cups sugar
4Tbsp powdered fruit pectin (I used one package of jamsetta

Bring the juice and the pectin to a boil. Boil for one minute. Stir in the sugar. Stir and cook for several minutes until it is all dissolved. Take off the heat and ladle/pour into sterilized jars.

Very simple. I sterilized the jars and lids in my dishwasher and then put them in a sink of hot water to get hot before putting the super hot liquid in. I had a tiny bit left over so put it in one of my little Pyrex bowls.

No comments: