Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Variations on Mom's cookbook

so, last night as I was cooking I thought that I'd share a couple more variations I have for mom's cookbook. For those of you who read this and aren't related to me (all 2 or 3 of you) =) Mom made a cookbook of the meals she makes most often. We all got a copy a couple, make that a LOT of years ago and Mom updated it last Christmas to fix a few mistakes (yes, my fault, I typed a lot of it) and add new recipes from us. Anyhoo... I have a couple more variations.


First off is mostaccioli. I need to get to the grocery store but so far it hasn't happened this week. And i was out of bread. BUT I had garlic bread in the freezer. So I substituted that instead. SO YUMMY!!! In fact, I have some left overs in the fridge that are calling my name for lunch. =) Anyway, if you don't know how to make mostaccioli and don't have my mom's cookbook here's the recipe.

(excuse me for just a minute as I went looking for Mom's cookbook and found the Dove caramels she brought me!! I'll be right back with your recipe!!) =)

Mostaccioli

1 lb ground beef (500g beef mince)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup bread crumbs (2 slices of bread cut into cubes)
1 tsp. salt
Dash pepper
Garlic to taste
1/4 cup chopped onion (I use dried minced onion)
2 11oz cans chili beef soup (Mom suggests Campbell's fiesta chili beef but it's hard to get there and impossible to get here so I use Stagg microwave bowls of chili. You can use any canned chili but mind the heat!!)
1 can water (half as much water as soup)
7 oz. mostaccioli noodles (I just use penne)
Parmesan cheese for garnish

Combine meat, milk, crumbs, salt, and pepper. (I throw the garlic powder and dried onions in here as well). Shape into meatballs. Brown meatballs. Remove from pan. Cook garlic and onion in skillet until tender but not brown. Blend in soup and water. Return meat balls to skillet. Bring mixture to boil. Simmer covered for 15 minutes.

cook pasta according to package directions. Serve meatballs on prepared pasta. sprinkle cheese on top.


The other recipe I changed a little in this past week was the pumpkin roll Mom makes. I think it is so yummy but I'm the only one that eats it here. So kinda useless to make a big huge one. Plus every time I make it the thing falls apart on me. so instead of the pumpkin cake recipe mom has I used this one from Wilton
(oops it isn't the one from Wilton although they are very similar. So I don't know where I got this one from. Oh well.)

Quick and Easy Pumpkin cupcakes
1 box of Spice Cake mix
1 15 oz. can of pumpkin
3 large eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup water

Mix it up and pour it into cupcake tins and bake it as per normal cupcakes

We all eat these cupcakes. The girls especially liked them with cream on top. And they're good with a buttercream icing with maple syrup or maple flavouring.

This time I broke them up in a bowl and added ice cream on top. (and a little cream from a can). SO YUMMY!! and to me it tasted exactly like Mom's pumpkin roll with very little effort.

Anyway, there you go. Two very yummy recipes. Try 'em. you'll love 'em.




No comments: